Useful Information

EDT Driving Lessons                       

Essential Driver Training (EDT), is the Road Safety Authority (RSA) minimum requirement for learner drivers who have obtained their learner permit after April 2011.  The RSA requirements for candidates comprise completion of the EDT course consisting of a minimum of 12 hours with an approved ADI. This course needs to be augmented by about 100 hours of independent driving supervised by a sponsor.  At Doyle Driving School we specialise in providing our candidates the very best up-to-date training available.  Cronan is an RSA Approved Driving Instructor (ADI) and is experienced in all aspects of CAR Driving Instruction in conjunction Doyle Driving School Cork is a specialist provider of EDT lessons, as set out by the RSA.

EDT is supported by a log book and learner’s book. Here at Doyle Driving School Cork, we ensure that the log book is fully completed, to help support you through the entire learning process. A Sample Logbook is available here

As detailed on the Services page, we offer packages for EDT lessons.

Reduced EDT Driving Lessons

A Reduced EDT programme was introduced by the RSA in January 2019.  The reduced programme consists of six one-hour sessions aimed at teaching the learner some of the most vital driving skills and help to improve their knowledge and understanding of road safety in Ireland.

Who can apply?

Holders of a current full foreign driving licence from another country with which Ireland does not have a licence exchange agreement.

Conditions for applying:

  1. Holders or a full foreign driving licence
  2. The licence must be held for at least two years
  3. The licence must not have expired more than six months on the date of receipt of the application form
  4. You must be resident in Ireland
  5. Hold an Irish Learner Permit

How to apply?

  1. Complete the application titled: 'Foreign Licence Holders Application for Reduced Essential Driver training (EDT) and/or Exemption from Six Months Wait Time for Driving Test'.  Application can be found here
  2. Enclose you original full foreign driving licence
  3. Enclose a Letter of Entitlement.  This is a document that you must obtain from the licencing body who issued you your foreign licence
  4. Post these to: Reduced EDT, National Driver Licence Service, PO Box 858, Southside Delivery Office, Cork

The Learner Driver Theory Test

The learner driver theory test was introduced into law during 2001. Before applying for a learner permit, candidates must complete and pass a test of their general road safety knowledge and motoring legislation.  It applies to anyone applying for a first learner permit in any vehicle category.  The test is computer-based designed but, don't worry, it appears on-screen in a very user friendly layout, so those who have little or no experience will complete it with the same confidence of those who do.  You will be afforded the opportunity to take a practice session on the day of your test; this will be done before starting on the actual test. If you have any special needs please ensure you contact the Driver Theory Service explaining your requirements prior to arrival at the test centre.

The format of the test, based on multiple choice questions, has remained unchanged and candidates are required to answer correctly 35 out of 40 questions in order to obtain a pass certificate. Candidates at the end of their exam will, regardless of passing or failing, also be provided, based on their performance, with a list of the categories recommended for further study e.g. Road Signs, Markings and Traffic Regulations, Alert Driving and Consideration for Road Users etc. All of these correspond to the categories listed in the training Material in order to facilitate revision or help improve overall skills.

The test is designed to check knowledge of topics such as;

  • Rules of the Road
  • Risk perception
  • Eco-driving
  • Hazard awareness
  • Good driving behaviour

Driver Theory Service contact: 1890 606 106 (English language)

1890 606 806 (Irish language)

1890 616 216 (Text phone - for the hearing-impaired)


Latest version

The latest version of the Official Driver Theory Test book and the Official Driver Theory Test CD-ROM is the 6th Edition dated October 2013. Both the book and the CD-ROM include a complete list of questions and graphics designed to aid the learner.  The CD-ROM allows the learner to undertake "practice tests" in a format that is very similar to the actual test and allows candidates to gauge their learning progress.  The study book and CD-ROM contain sections covering all driving test categories

The Official Driver Theory Test Book (6th edition) and CD-ROM are available to purchase online at and in book shops nationwide.

Booking a theory test

The theory test is managed on behalf of the RSA by a test partner, which operates a number of lo-call helplines to answer queries about the test and take test bookings;

1890 606 106 (English language)

1890 606 806 (Irish language)

1890 616 216 (Text phone - for the hearing-impaired)


Tests can be booked on-line at

The postal address of the testing service is;

PO Box 788,



Application forms are available from the testing service and from all local motor taxation offices.  Tests are held in 41 theory test centres around the country.  The test is offered in both Irish and English and candidates with special requirements can be accommodated. A Polish voiceover is available in all categories of vehicles. A Russian and Lithuanian voiceover is available for the category B (car).

Changes to Driver Theory Test!

From the 10th of October 2016 17 new questions will be added to the Car and Motorcycle Driver Theory Test.  These new questions will be added as a new Alcohol and Drug Module.  The new learning material is available for download here

From the 1st June 2017, there will be a change in the identification requirements for any person sitting the Driver Theory Test.

From this date onwards, at the time of booking the theory test (or CPC Exam/ ADI exam), customers will be asked to confirm that they possess a Public Services Card. In order to book the theory test (or CPC Exam) customers will need to provide the 12-digit Card Number from the rear of their Public Services Card.

From the 17th June, all customers attending the Driver Theory Test Centre for their theory test (or Driver CPC Case Study/ADI exam) must present a valid Public Services Card as proof of ID.

Failure to produce the card at the test centre for a booked appointment will result in the applicant being unable to sit the test and losing the test fee.

In the test centre, the only acceptable form of ID will be the Public Services Card. The card will be used to verify name, PPS number and identity of the person attending for the test.  Customers will need to ensure that the spelling of the name in which they book their test matches exactly the spelling of their name on the card.

For customers who need to apply for a Public Services Card, information can be found on the Department of Social Protection website here 


How to apply or renew a learner permit

Learner permits are processed and issued by Motor Taxation Offices.

You can download an application form D201 here . To apply for a new learner permit, renew and existing permit, update an existing permit, add a category or obtain it from your Motor Tax Office.  A learner permit is generally issued for two years and costs €35. No fee will apply where the applicant is 70 years of age or more on the commencement date of the licence.

What your application should include

  • A completed D201 application form
  • Two passport-type photographs (signed on back)
  • Your current or most recent driving licence (if you hold a driving licence or held one within the previous 10 years) and/or your current/most recent learner permit (if you hold a current learner permit or held one within the previous five years – unless your most recent learner permit has been superseded by the issue of a driving licence)
  • The appropriate fee

The following may also be required;

  • An original birth certificate/passport
  • An original certificate of registration
  • A completed D501 Driving Licence Medical Report Form (if your are downloading the Medical Report form you must print it back to back)
  • A completed D502 Driving Licence Eyesight Report Form
  • Evidence that you underwent a driving test in the last two years if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit
  • Evidence of a forthcoming driving test if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit and you have not sat a driving test  in the last two years
  • Lost licence declaration
  • Theory test certificate

Important note: The law requires that any person driving a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place must hold a current learner permit or driving licence in respect of the vehicle category being driven. Any person applying for a learner permit or driving licence shall not supply false or misleading information in connection with such application.  Any person contravening either of these requirements is liable to prosecution and penalties.

Learner permits and vehicle categories

There are restrictions on what type of learner permit you’re entitled to as a learner driver; you need to know these before you apply. You will also need to understand the lettering system/code for vehicle categories, these can be viewed here Driving Licence Categories.

You may apply for your first learner permit for vehicles in categories;

  • A1, A2, A, B, M or W – without any previous driving experience
  • C1, C, D1 or D – if you hold a driving licence for category B
  • EB, EC1, EC, ED1 or ED – if you hold a driving licence for the appropriate drawing vehicle. For example, you must hold a driving licence for category C in order to apply for a learner permit for EC

Note: You will be treated as a first-time applicant in relation to a particular vehicle category if you have not held a learner permit in that category within the preceding five years. A first time permit holder will have code 991 on the learner permit in the column marked ‘restrictions/information’ opposite the licence category.’
What your application or renewal should include
Important note - please ensure to complete the form in block capitals using a black ballpoint pen. The application form must only be printed and not photocopied for quality control purposes.

You can’t apply for a learner permit if you;

  • Are disqualified from driving due to age or ill health
  • Do not have your normal residence in Ireland (see below: ‘Normal residence in Ireland’)
  • Already hold a full driving licence for the category in which the application will be made, which has been issued by the competent authority in a member state of the European Union or European Economic Area.

Normal residence in Ireland

Being ‘normally resident’ in Ireland means you live here for at least 185 days in each calendar year. Even where you work or study abroad for lengthy periods you may still be regarded as being normally resident in Ireland provided that you have personal ties in Ireland and return here regularlyYour application must be accompanied by an original birth certificate or passport unless you;

  • Hold a current driving licence or learner permit
  • Held a driving licence within the last ten years or a learner permit within the last five
  • Hold a current valid driving licence issued by another EU member state or another “recognised country”.

In certain instances, a certificate of registration may be submitted with a learner permit application instead of a birth certificate or passport.


The licensing authority may ask you to provide personal identification as part of the application process. You are advised to bring ID with you if applying in person.  Acceptable ID includes;

  • Passport
  • Employee or student identity card

Applying for your Full Drivers Licence

How to apply

What you need in order to apply for or renew a driving licence, are the fees that apply and the licence terms that are available.
Motor vehicles in Ireland are divided into different categories for driver licensing purposes. This is a standard practice throughout the European Union. Ireland has 15 categories in total, ranging from motorcycles to agricultural vehicles these can be viewed here Driving Licence Categories.

You may apply for a driving licence if you;

  • Recently passed a driving test
  • Hold a driving licence that is due to expire within three months and you wish to renew it
  • Held a driving licence that expired less than 10 years ago and you wish to renew it
  • Hold a driving licence and you wish to have an additional category of vehicle added to it and a driving test is not required
  • Are exchanging a current valid driving licence issued by another Member State of the European Union or of the European Economic Area or another *'recognised state'

* A number of countries are designated as 'recognised states'; this means that their driver licensing systems are broadly similar to ours, they are;
Australia, Gibraltar,Guernsey, Isle of Man, Japan, Jersey,New Zealand, South Africa, South Korea, Switzerland and Taiwan

Working/studying abroad

To be eligible to apply for an Irish driving licence you must be normally resident in Ireland for at least 185 days in each calendar year. However, if you have family here yet are working or studying abroad for a specific period you may still be regarded as being normally resident in Ireland provided you return here on a regular basis. Working abroad on a specific task or attending a foreign university or college does not mean you have transferred your normal residence to another country.

Why has the application process changed to a face-to-face application?

A layer of extra security has been added to ensure that that the person who applies for your licence is you. For that reason, a number of new security measures are being introduced to the licensing process as part of the changeover to the NDLS.  

These changes include;

  • A requirement for applicants who do not or have never previously held an Irish learner permit of full licence to bring additional documentation to confirm their identity
  • A face to face meeting with a Customer Service Agent in an NDLS centre
  • Having your digital photograph taken and digital signature captured by a Customer Service Agent in an NDLS centre

What do you need to bring when applying for your licence?

What you need to bring with you when applying for a full licence depends on the circumstances of your application. In all cases it is necessary to submit;

The D401 application form is available in NDLS centres, Driving Test centres, Driving Theory Test centres and Garda Stations. It is also available to download by clicking on the link above.

Please ensure that you complete the application form in block capitals using a black ballpoint pen.

You will also be required to submit a combination of the following documents depending on whether you have previously held a licence, the category of licence you are applying for, your age and if required on medical grounds (please see full checklist by type of licence application below)

  • The appropriate fee
  • Certificate of Competency
  • Your current learner permit
  • Your current full licence
  • A completed NDLS D501 Driving Licence Medical Report Form (if your are downloading the Medical Report form you must print it back to back)
  • Documentation to verify your identity
  • Documentation to prove your address
  • Documentation to verify your PPSN (Verifying your PPSN)
  • Lost licence declaration (see question 15 of licence application form)

As part of the application process your photograph will be taken so there is no need to submit photographs with your application.

Verification of identity

If you are a first time applicant for an Irish driving licence or learner permit, you will be required to verify your identity as part of the face to face application process. This means that you will have to submit documentation to prove your identity, your address and your PPSN, as well as confirmation of your country of birth/residency entitlement.  In order to verify your identity, it is necessary to produce one document from each of the four lists below. You must provide original identity documents; photocopies or laminated documents are not acceptable.

Photographic I.D.

  • Irish Passport which cannot be expired over 12 months
  • Current Passport for all non-Irish citizens
  • Current National Identity Card for EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens
  • Irish Certificate of Naturalisation
  • Current UK photo driving licence
  • Current Public Services Card
  • Current Irish Travel Document

Evidence of residency entitlement

  • Irish/UK Long-form Birth Certificate or Adoption Certificate
  • Certificate of entry in the Irish Register of Foreign Births
  • Irish Passport
  • Current Passport for all EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens
  • Current National Identity Card for EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens
  • Irish Certificate of Naturalisation
  • Current Certificate of Registration (GNIB card) for non-EU/EEA/Swiss Citizens must be produced with current national passport